16 July 2006

A temporary change of direction

Next week I'll be across the pond visiting friends, sharing London with the little one for the first time, and generally on vacation. It seems an odd time to be setting out on such a wonderful adventure given the events of the past week, but on the "home front" I promised the little one two years ago that she could make this trip with me, and I believe in my heart that we will be safe. So for the next week my contributions to this space will be a haven and refuge from the events of the outside world.

Meanwhile, to quickly address events in the Middle East, which are complex and far-reaching to be sure. Two unrelated thoughts have come to mind over the past couple of days that I really haven't seen discussed elsewhere. But one I think is truly important, the other is more "gut reaction" than anything else, but both, I think, will play a role in events as they unfold.

First, given the climate of fear and isolationism that has been cultivated in the US since 9/11, I am deeply worried that the actions of the Israeli government will produce a leap in Anti-Semitism here in the States. As willing as we have been to surrender our freedoms to allow the government to "keep us safe," I, sadly, would not be surprised to find that Americans start blaming Israel for our difficulties in the Middle East and, by extension, anyone who is Jewish. Israel is our ally, hopefully an ally we can reason with, an ally that will see the greater good in backing away from a crisis that is terrifying close to escalating into the kind of war many of us hoped to leave behind in the last century. But, however Israel responds it will be a decision of the Israeli government -- nothing Jews in America, Europe, or elsewhere in the world can control, anymore that Mother has the ability to control US policy. Just as all Muslims are not terrorists, all Jews are not militants. Let us judge people by the "content of their character," which is a good segue to my other thought.

This thought has been dwelling in my head for some time based on the US public's reaction or lack thereof to our continued presence in Iraq. Two-thirds of the American public now oppose the War in Iraq. A recent poll indicated that, by a three-to-one margin, voters are dissatisfied enough with our leadership to want to vote them out of power. That's a large group of unhappy people. Except....where the hell are they? Where are the protests? Where are the marches? Are we so afraid of our own government now that we worry about publicly denouncing its policies? Or is it something else?

The Iraq War invariably draws comparisons to Vietnam War, more so now than ever. There are, of course, many differences, but I want to focus on one: There is no draft. Could it possibly be that our '60s protesters, many now turning 60 themselves, were motivated more by self-preservation than ideology? Remember these are the same people that grew up to be the "Yuppie Scum" of the '80s, and are now...well, President Bush just celebrated his 60th birthday himself...that's right, they are now the people in power. A generation that has always been in love with itself, was always convinced of its own superiority, is now holding all the power. The generation that protested against the Vietnam War is running the Iraq War. Oh the irony! But there's no chance that it's their asses that are going to get shot this time, and there's no draft to call their sons and daughters away from their safe suburban lives, so they can go on watching "American Idol" and contain their outrage to the ballot box, maybe, if they remember to vote.

So, today's post is a little jumbled, a little mix of this and that, but tomorrow I'm catching a plane to that wonderful place from which I draw so much inspiration. Perhaps being part of the magnificent living, breath, pulsing organism that is London will recharge my ability to create a cohesive post.

Until we meet again, Peace to you all.

1 comment:

ell said...

I hope you're wrong about the '60s US protesters and the tie-in to the draft. I'm of that generation and know there are many of us still around who hold to our ideals for a peaceful world and do what we can. (We haven't all gone to the other side. ;)) But like you, I wish they'd be more vocal.

I don't think I've been more depressed about the world situation as in the past week, at least not in a very long time. I hope saner heads prevail and the killing of innocent civilians stop. In my darker moments, I'd like to put everyone who wants to be in a 'war' on a remote asteroid and let them have at it - and leave the rest of us in peace. Not that simple, I know, but it's a tempting thought!

Meanwhile, have a wonderful trip to London with the little one. I'm sure she's going to love it as much as her mom.